We had the front desk write out the address of the YWCA in Chinese so we could jump in a taxi and begin our day. The taxis are cheap, everywhere we went was only $18 HK dollars, which is less than $2 US for all of us. (That would not have even gotten the car started in London)
Hoyer just sits in laps, not very safe but no alternative. The mountians are very steep, windy and hilly as you can imagine, so we were VERY scared Hoyer was going to puke in the taxi, he didn't. But I can see that being a problem....
We arrive at the YWCA in no time, everything is so close to everything. We picked up brochures and booklets for children's classes and activities, there is so much for Hoyer to do and me too! That was very reassuring. After that we headed up ( in a taxi) to the top of the mid-levels escalator. We passed a few of the buildings we had researched and walked in to take a look.
We walked around to the zoo and botanical gardens and really worked up a sweat.The Mid-Levels is the area of town where most Ex-Pats live, it is residential and up in the mountains. The Peak is the very top and the most expensive area of town, then there is the Mid-Levels, which is half way up the mountain, then Central which is like down town, and then Wan Chai, where we are currently. Wan Chai is very busy, lots of bars and restaurants, not so many ex-pats, not many children.
Our apartment is so small, I know I mentioned it before, but I will go into a little detail for you. It is about the size of my bedroom at my parents house. Or the size of our den in Birmingham...But, separated into a kitchen, which is just a wall with a sink, kind of like a wet bar... 2 burners, a dorm sized fridge under and a washer dryer combo next to the fridge, 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and a den. Everything is very modern and really well laid out, there is a place for everything. We have a nice flat screen TV, lots of windows which look out on other high rises, we are on the 14th floor. I will take pics and post soon.
We find Hong Kong to be very Westernized, almost more than London. It is very very humid, more than anywhere else I have ever been. It feels a little like Costa Rica, with the jungle, cloud forests, the vegetation and the mountains. The temperature is high, but the heat is not the issue, it is the humidity. Hoyer's hair finally has curls. Kyle and I have no idea what our hair looks like because it was wet all day, as if we had just gotten out of the shower. Our face was sweating and so was our body. I had sweat running down my legs, my face looked like I just ran 100 miles, real beads of sweat kept running down my face, not like the Southern Lady Like Glistening I am used to. We came home at noon to shower. Which lead to naptime which lead to bedtime. We were all exhausted.
No comments:
Post a Comment