Saturday, July 24, 2010

Rice

I have always been afraid of cooking rice. I don't know why.

My mother uses instant rice, boil in a bag, if you will. Or, one specific brand that she swears by that her friend told her about, this year, that same friend came down to Louisiana from Mississippi to help cook that specific rice for a party my mom threw. My grandmother, BB, carries a special pot with her on holidays so she can make the rice wherever we are. BB's rice is always delicious, but is it the pot at makes it so?

Why is cooking rice such a mystery? The directions on the bag are simple. But it ain't that simple y'all. Rice burns, it turns mushy or crunchy, it doesn't fluff or it separates. White rice, yellow rice, brown rice, basmati rice


Being in China for a month, I have eaten my fair share of rice already. Our apartment even has a rice cooker. Although I have no clue how to work it. They sell rice in bags at the grocery store as large as the huge dog food bags at Wal-Mart in the States. Rice is a staple here and I am not going to be afraid anymore.

I am going to concur rice these next few months, not by boiling in a bag or by using a special pot or even a rice cooker, I am going to learn, probably through trial and error, how to cook rice.

Updates to come, I am sure the three of you who read this are just thrilled!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Headland Dr,,Hong Kong

2 comments:

megan said...

i make a delicious saffron rice. will give you a demo on skype one day! sooo easy! x

Kim said...

Oh girl ... been there ... done that. You won't believe how easy it is to cook really great rice. All you need is a rice cooker and REAL rice from Thailand. You will never be able to got back to that boil in the back (or instant) stuff called rice. Seriously ... call Jocelyn and have her come over with my rice cooker. You won't be sorry!
Love & Blessings,
Kim

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails